Saturday, March 7, 2009

Loonies-From The Diary Of The Unknown

"Why Are They Shouting?" I was asked by one of the inmates & I had no answer to that,

I just kept on gazing towards the epicenter of those nerve shattering sounds, blood thirsty yellings of people I could not see, nor I wished to see. But I was unable to understand what they wanted, that too at this hour & at a place like this.

”Why are they shouting? I cannot concentrate on my chess game.”One of them said,

it made me smile. I looked at his non-existent chess board & then at him, he was trying to concentrate really hard on something at the floor, perhaps his chess game. But the sounds outside took my gaze away towards the main door again.

I had to do something, I had to save them, I thought.

Afterall I was their custodian, their keeper. But what could I do, they knocked again shouting open or get it broken.

Now I mustered all my strength & went towards the main entry of the place & through the closed gate spoke,

”What do you want?”

There was a loud cry outside, they were intonating some religious slogan, I wanted to use the word chanting in place of intonating. But then, I wondered, can it really be holy chanting when you have arms in your hands.

Anyways they were rioters, ready to burn or tore down anything coming their way. They had already killed quite a few people; they were on this rampage for the last two days. There was an eerie silence outside now,

I asked again, ”What do you want?”.

A voice came from the other side of door, ”Open it, open the door, we will not let any man from their faith live, they kill our brothers, mothers, sisters, we will not let them live”,

As he verbalized those words the whole gathering again burst into those holy intonations, What could I possibly do now, there were a few men of that religion at our place,

Still I spoke, Actually not spoke but sang a particular hymn of my religion to let them understand that I was one of them &

then said, ”Brothers, this is just a loony bin. What would you get killing these schizophrenics here, some of them even don’t know their names, forget religion.
Some of them have already killed their relatives that is why they are here. They can be dangerous”


“Hmmm, Ok then we will leave you, but keep one thing in mind. Those mads who are not from our faith, keep them separated from the one with us.”He said,

I gathered that he was afraid, afraid of those lunatics, afraid of what madness could do. They forgot what there madness was doing, they were scared of insanity not there’s but of the men who were loonies not because they wanted because they had the liability of madness thrust upon them.
I said, yes, still tensed, clasping the doors of the gate tightly,

I could still hear them shout; those voices were at a distance now. But they still held that terror in there voice .Fear this emotion was now slowly being replaced with sadness, sadness of the knowledge that many eyes would see their last nights today.

I drew myself back to the interiors of that loony bin or lunatic asylum as they called it, had to separate a few inmates according to instructions from the rioters, the intelligent perpetrators of violence.

My first cell had two men brought up on different books, different names for GOD but one thing uniting them they were both balmy or mad. Fate had bought them together in this cell & now it was my duty to separate them, as I looked into their cell I found one of them lying on bed with closed eyes, I knew he was running with temperature but what amazed me was his cell mate, who was dancing around him.

I shouted at him, ”Don’t you see he is ill, how can you dance like this?”

he mumbled,” I am dancing because that is how he will get well, that is how he will be relieved of his ails.”
Then pointing his fingers towards a distant void he said, ”He told me this.”

There was no one. It was his OCD & voices talking. I decided to forgo the idea of separating their cabins, Once earlier when he had to be taken to hospital for his ailments they had to be separated, then he cried as he didn’t want to leave his cell-mate here & go to some other place. He only understood what he said & vice-versa & now i understood that both of them were unaware of the word religion.

So who would now tell him that you are from different religions? Who will tell them that it was not the same GOD who created both of you, they had no identity no religion among themselves. They were nuts just nuts. Though I could not understand who the nuts were. These guys inside the cell of the asylum or those who were trying to make the whole world an asylum.

Next morning when I woke up, I read in the news paper ‘Riot mob kills a dozen. ’Then Looking at those closed cells of the mental asylum I thought,” GOD! Bless the nuts,may we all be nuts”

7 comments:

Sourabh Khajanchi said...

very true
its really the hardest truth of our society
Great Job.......
anyway I had to refer dictionary 10 times while going through the post

Geet said...

Onek din por shomaye pelam tomar lekha porte... absolutely loved the concept!! keep writing :)

Geet said...

Onek din por time pelam... absolutely loved the concept behind this post! Good work... keep writing :)

Kingshuk said...

An exceptional, exemplary and exquisite work.....an ironical situation well portrayed....i'm short of adjectives bro, bravo!!!and keep writing....

kunal said...

nice one :)
quite true.

Adisha said...

A well thought out topic written with equally well scripted fevour ...

Only I wish there was some more organization within the scripts to make the writing more visually appealing and expressive.

Else Excellent Job !! Wish I could write like that ...

gurleen said...

hey ,
this is one of the best post of urs ...one detests solitary confinement but an aversion one needs to have a solutide within 4 a certain time to have a introspection ..
loved ur post...